Arts Development UK is a professional association, with a membership drawn from organisations and individuals supporting arts development in local communities, local authorities and those working in the creative industries sector in England and Wales. We are a Charitable Company, limited by guarantee with Charity Registration No 1146670 and Company Registration Number 07983980. Membership is open to all in the arts and cultural sectors.
Our objective is twofold:
- To offer practical advice, networking and support to the profession, and
- To advocate for the important contribution that the arts and creative industries make to today’s crosscutting agendas, such as social inclusion.
We are a registered charity and operate as a membership organisation with almost 400 organisations and individuals in membership, including local authority corporate members (representing about 85% of all authorities in England and Wales with an arts service).
Our Vision & Mission
Our aim is the universal provision of high quality, effective local arts services that meet and reflect local needs and issues. We are:
- Creative and Collaborative
- Forward thinking and flexible, and
- Professional and passionate
Arts Development UK’s vision is to ensure that the arts thrive in all our communities, meeting local needs, challenges and ambitions. Our mission is to equip our members to make this happen.
Trustees & Regional Coordinators
We are managed by a Board of Trustees who meet bi-monthly to manage and develop the charity. A National Advisory Committee comprising Trustees and Regional Coordinators meets quarterly to support member services and regional and national development. A list of current trustees and regional coordinators for 2017/18 are available here: Trustees & National Committee 2017.
A copy of our Articles of Association is available here:Arts Development UK Ltd CHARITABLE STATUS ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION 22_03 . The last annual report for Arts Development UK, presented to the AGM in November 2014 is available here: Final signed & approved annual report 20-12-16
Our members develop arts serving the needs of local communities in their catchment areas, promoting artistic and cultural access and participation, fostering integration and understanding, supporting social and community cohesion, and supporting local, regional and national crosscutting agendas.
We are committed to supporting multicultural arts in all of its aspects, in developing participation opportunity and access to the arts for all, irrespective of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, economic background and ability, and we are equally committed to building new audiences, engaging all communities in an attempt to break down barriers and to promote respect and understanding. We welcome membership from all authorities and those working in the creative and cultural industries sector. We can draw on expertise covering all aspects of the arts & creative industries in local government.
A national Trustees committee of arts officers representing County, District, Unitary and Metropolitan Authorities and other organisations from all English regions and Wales governs us. We also have various working parties addressing such subjects as Professional Development & CPD, Communications & Marketing, and Research & Advocacy.
Arts Development UK’s services include:
- Annual conference attracting over 200 delegates for debate, breakout discussion groups, workshops and study tours and featuring leading speakers on themes such as regeneration and cultural diversity
- Interactive web-site receiving 6,500 hits per month, containing case studies and a selection of case studies and online magazines
- A weekly ezine, circulated to over 1000 members and other organisations
- An annual Professional Fellowship Programme
- Contact to almost 400 local authority arts officers and thgis working in the cultural sector in the UK
- Regional meetings addressing local and national issues and informing ADUK strategy
- A developing programme of training and continuous professional development including informal mentoring, buddying and induction to new members, regional and national seminars, our annual conference, and day-to-day networking and benchmarking within the membership
- Research on issues which further the arts and creative industries in local government
- Ongoing advice and information service
For further information and membership detail, please contact: artsdevUK@aol.com or tel: 01269 824728.
Arts Development UK needs members for Working Parties
Each year, we host a number of working parties and task groups to assist us in the development of services to our members. Active working groups this year include our Advocacy & Research WP, our Communications & Marketing WP and our Professional Development WP.
Working Parties afford members with an excellent opportunity for their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and they are wonderful opportunities to network, skill share and exchange information as well as assisting us in our forward programming to ensure that we continue to cater to member needs. We are also awarding points for attendance at WP’s that will contribute to our annual Arts Development UK’s Fellowship Programme. WP membership is open to all members, and we pay expenses (if you need them) for attendance.
We are particularly seeking new recruits to our Professional Development WP, to help us to roll out our new Regional & Professional Development Strategy, as well as helping us to programme our National Seminar Programme. Meetings are generally held every 3-4 months in Birmingham, Manchester or London. If you would like to volunteer to be considered for membership to one of the WP’s, please contact Pete Bryan, Arts Development UK Administrator on tel: 01269 824728 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.